Sunday, November 4, 2007

Recipe of the Week- Another Yummy Fall Treat!


I am very proud of myself, because I actually got inspired to cook using butternut squash which is something I have never done before! It is actually not to hard! It just takes a little time to bake the squash. I recommend baking the squash, scooping out the flesh, and putting it in the fridge the day before you are going to bake. This recipe is really sweet, depending on your taste you may want to cut the sugar in half. Also, as far as the topping goes you can be creative. The recipe calls for vanilla wafers but I used honey brunches of oats cereal. You could also use graham crackers. Let me know if you try it! Enjoy!
***I got this recipe off of AllRecipes.com!!!!


Butternut Squash Casserole


INGREDIENTS
3 cups of butternut squash
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup margarine, melted
TOPPING
1/2 (16 ounce) package vanilla wafers, crushed
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 cup brown sugar

DIRECTIONS

Cut squash in half longways and bake facedown on a cookie sheet at 450 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. Scoop out the flesh!


In a 9x13 inch casserole dish combine 3 cups mashed butternut squash, white sugar, milk, vanilla extract, salt, flour, eggs and 1/4 cup melted margarine.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until set.
In a medium bowl combine crushed vanilla wafers, 1/2 cup melted margarine and brown sugar. Crumble over top of cooked casserole and return to oven to brown.


3 comments:

Amy said...

This sounds really good!

On your comment for my bloggy giveaway, you said you'd be interested in my scrapbooking meme when I got it started. As of today, it's up! http://sundayscrappin.blogspot.com/
I hope you'll stop by and join in the fun! :)

Gretchen said...

This sounds yummy! I'm always on the lookout for new squash recipes... especially this time of year! :) Have you tried microwaving the squash? It tastes the same and is MUCH quicker!!

Liz said...

I haven't tried microwaving the squash (this whole cooking with squash thing is new to me!) Do you have any tips for me, Mom Chatter?